Twitter Facebook RSS Bloglovin Pinterest Instagram Image Map

Monday, September 6, 2010

Brownies from a Cake Mix

So-o-o, I was going through the pantry yesterday (in my neverending quest to clean it out) and I found a cake mix I bought last year for my youngest brother's birthday but never used. 
I knew it was near its expiration date and didn't want to waste it (funny, I rarely have this urge with healthy foods), but there wasn't a high demand for cake at my house at the moment.
 However, brownies are always welcome! And plus, with the temps down somewhat and a fall-ish feeling in the air, I've had an itch to bake lately. 
What to do? Hmm. My motto's "Where there's chocolate, I will MAKE a way," so after a quick search, I found this recipe at www.eHow.com. Yummy stuff, people!

Photobucket

Brownies from a Cake Mix

1 moist-style cake mix (mine was a moist chocolate by Pillsbury)
1 stick of butter, melted (channeling Paula Deen here ... )
1 egg
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. water
1 c. chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 10 oz. bag chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, combine butter, egg, cake mix, brown sugar, and water. Beat together with a hand mixer (trust me here, it makes a stiff batter), and then add in the nuts and chocolate chips. Dump this mixture into your pan, and press it in evenly with your hands. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a crust forms. Allow brownies to cool about 5 minutes before cutting into bars.

Notes from the cook: -- I think I added a bit more than 2 T. water, but not much.
-- I didn't use a whole bag of chocolate chips, and if I had've, I couldn't see these coming out of the pan! I used just under 1 c. that I chopped up along with the pecans, and that was plenty.
-- These turned out a bit greasy. Next time I may reduce butter by 2 T.
-- I will also cut back the brown sugar, too.

Seriously yummy in the tummy! Have you ever made something new or inventive from a packaged product? Tell me about it!

And in honor of Paula Deen, bless her butter-lovin' heart:


Happy cookin', y'all!

Pin It!

I'm participating in:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Penny Pinching Party @ The Thrifty Home

Works for Me Wednesday @ We Are That Family

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm.... what a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I've always wondered if you could make brownies from a cake mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!!!! I will be watching for sales on cake mixes just to try this. Just found your blog and can't wait to read back through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea & they look yummy!! Hi..I’m Barb.I am from Just a Girl.. I am your newest follower.
    I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. I also would love for you to be a new Fan of my Facebook page too & click “LIKE” in the upper right hand corner of my blog & you’ve done it..Thanks so much! I am just starting at Facebook. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete